Monday, July 17, 2023

The Parable of the Sower

Matthew 12:1-9, 18-23

7-16-23

 

The Sower
Vincent Van Gogh
This week, we hear the parable of the sower.

Parables are tough. Especially Jesus’s parables.

They’re metaphors.

They show a point by telling a story.

And sometimes the point of the story isn’t all that clear.

And it’s even harder for us today because a lot

of the metaphors Jesus uses rely on information

or references that the people then shared and we do not.

 

But this week Jesus tells them this story about growing things.

Fortunately, how things grow or don’t grow hasn’t changed

too much since Jesus has been around,

so we can understand this one pretty well.

And we get a rare gift in the gospels:

Jesus explains the parable to his disciples.


So a farmer goes out and spreads seeds on different terrains.

A path, rocky areas, a place with thorns, and good soil.

Jesus tells us that the seeds are the Word of God.

And there are four types of people outlined in the parable:

Those who don’t understand the word of the kingdom.

Those who receive it with joy but it doesn’t take root.

Those who hear it, but worry too much about the cares of the world

and so it doesn’t amount to anything.

And those who hear it and it grows and it bears fruit.

 

So, there it is. Jesus has done it for us.

Nothing much for me to do except lay it all out there.

My job is done this morning.

Amen.

 

Except, I have some questions that I would

like to have asked if I was there with Jesus that day.

I’m really interested in that soil.

 

Isn’t there anything we can do about the soil?

-Can we make it better?

-Can we cultivate it? Improve it?

-can we, metaphorically speaking, put some dirt on top of those rocks

- Can we go and take out some of the thorns?

-Once you’re bad soil are you just bad soil?

-Are some people just hopeless?

-And who is bad soil and who is good?

-How can I tell who is good and who is bad?

so that I don’t waste seeds?

 

-And Jesus, which one am I?

-Because some days I feel like I’m that good soil.

-But some days I think I’m that rocky ground

-And some days the thorns come in.

-And some days it just depends on the hour of the day.

 

So I have a lot of questions about all that soil.

 

I think the temptation we have when we hear this parable

is to make this into “the parable of the soil.”

But it’s important to remember that this is

called “The Parable of the Sower”.

Jesus even gives it that name, which is rare

in the world of parables.

So we should pay attention to the sower.


Whenever we garden,

we spend a lot of time on our soil.

We mix nutrients into it, we till it.

We make sure it’s the correct place for sun exposure.

We make sure it’s ready for the seeds.

And then we put seeds or plants in carefully.

We do it very intentionally and purposefully.

 

We sow our seeds with prudence.

Cautiously, sparingly, we have limits.

We don’t just put them anywhere.

We don’t want to waste them.

 

But look what this crazy sower in the parable does.

He’s got some seeds, these precious seeds,

and he throws them all over the place.

He’s not worrying where they land.

Good soil or bad soil. Rocks or dirt.

 

And this was at a time that you couldn’t talk to the Burpee dealer

and purchase more seeds if you needed them.

Each seed was cultivated by the sower.

Seeds were precious and limited things then.

But still the sower in this parable throws the seeds everywhere.

The sower is not thwarted by the failure.

He just keeps throwing those seeds around.

 

I want to break in right now

and tell you about my saga of gardening.

Most of my adult life, I lived in apartments.

 

Texas was my first ever house with a yard,

but it was too hot and most people didn’t

grow vegetables in their gardens.

So when we bought a house in Columbus,

one of the first things I did was to plan a garden.

 

A friend of ours picked the spot with me

and I started the garden in 2013.

 

I did everything that you were supposed to do

tilling, adding, things to the soil.

Things were looking good at first.

 

But the first year, I planted too many things

in my plot and I got a bunch of beautiful leaves

and not a lot else. But I learned and I started

again the next year. And the next.


Every year I would start with big

hopes and things would look good

and by July, I would have a bunch of leaves and a lot of

sweat and tears and not much a lot to show for it.

I did this five years in a row. It got worse every year.

 

Some people blamed it on the walnut tree

on the corner of our property.

But realistically, the neighbors all have great gardens.

And I had the soil tested and they said it was fine.

 

So one year, I gave up and I planted sunflowers.

Which seemed to like whatever I’ve done to the soil there.

 

But I couldn’t stop. The next year I picked

another plot of land, on the opposite side of the walnut tree

 

And I thought I had a good start.

Then the bugs at the pepper plants.

And the birds ate my string bean plants.

Actually I’ve started the string beans six times in one year,

seed after seed,

And something happened to each plant.

 

But I had a cucumber starting!

 

And a few strawberries in the pot.


But then a deer came and ate lots of it and

the cucumbers and the strawberry plant.

 

And so I bought a tent and put it over the yard.

And replanted the cucumbers and the strawberry

and another pepper and some more green bean seeds AGAIN

But the tomatoes got some kind of wilt and I lost

three of the four of them.

 

And realistically nothing else good happened.

Just a lot of leaves and nothing else.

And then we moved here.

 

But before we knew we were moving, I was making big plans

for the next year. Eight years I tried to grow

a garden, I think in total for all those 8 years,

I’ve gotten one basket of vegetables.


Now, I don’t usually like to put myself

in the role of prime example in my sermons.

But just to be honest, I am like that sower!

 

I keep trying and trying and gardening with reckless abandon

Not looking at the cost.

(I’m NOT looking at how much all that cost).

As many times as I’ve failed, I keep trying.

I am the sower! BE like me!

 

But of course, in the end,

Jesus is not talking about gardening.

Jesus is talking about people

and Jesus is talking about God.

 

I wish I approached every person

the way I approached my task of gardening.

I wish I looked at people with renewed hope,

and without regard for past experience.

I wish I shared grace and love and the Gospel like that.


I wish I looked at every person anew instead

of judging them by what the last person like them did.

I wish I was as forgiving as that sower

when it came to other people.

But I’m not.

 

Like most people, I judge people by what they look like,

and where they come from, and by my past experiences

with people who look and act like them.

I make decisions about who I want to spend time on

and who I want to share the good news with and with

based on all sorts of perceptions that are often not valid.

I am stingy with my seeds

 

But God just throws those seeds of love out there

ham-fisted willy-nilly without thinking much about the results.

God gives that love to people who deserve it and

those who don’t just the same.

That is the grace of the sower.

That is the abundance God.

 

God's grace doesn’t calculate the best choice

it doesn’t hedge its bets on who’s worthy and who’s not.

It doesn’t determine who’s bore fruit in the past,

who will be the best and the brightest.

God just throws grace around with wild abandon.

 

Our creator is not worried where the seeds go,

just that the seeds keep falling on everyone.

 

Remember, Jesus was preparing the disciples to send them out.

He’s telling them, showing them, “don’t worry where the seeds fall.

Just worry that the seeds keep falling.”

Don’t count how many seeds you drop on thieves,

tax collectors, prostitutes, Pharisees,

gentiles and other people that seem unworthy.

Don’t worry about whether people seem like good soil or not.

Just keep the seeds coming.

There will always be more when you look in the bag.

 

That is the parable of the sower.

The ground that we work in may seem rocky or thorny,

it may seem hopeless and like no one is listening.

But God will not give up on us.

 

God will continue to spread those seeds, confident

that they will take root in us and in time

will yield a wonderful harvest.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment